NETMET is a program that implements The Logic of Metaphor (LOM).
NETMET was written in C and runs in DOS mode on Windows machines.
The download ZIP file includes:
- the NETMET executable
- the source code for NETMET
- sample input files for generating and interpreting metaphors
- a series of guided exercises for learning the LOM
- a documentation file.
The sample input files include:
- ATOM.PRP -- The solar system is an atom
- COMPMIND.PRP -- The mind is a computer
- DECEIVES.PRP -- A metaphor about deception
- GREEK.PRP -- A simple analogy involving Greek gods
- LAWS.PRP -- An analogy between Newton's law and Coulomb's law
- LEAVES.PRP -- An analogy between plants and animals
- MEMORY.PRP -- The Platonic metaphor: memory is a wax tablet
- MIDWIFE.PRP -- The Platonic metaphor: Socrates is a midwife
- MINDBODY.PRP -- Platonic mind/body analogies
- NOISE.PRP -- An illustration of how NETMET handles noisy input
- OTHER.PRP -- The argument by analogy for other minds
- SOUNDWVE.PRP -- Lightwaves are soundwaves.
You are encouraged to modify and improve NETMET. There are only two restrictions: You must explicitly give credit to Eric Steinhart for the original code and you may not use either the original code or your modifications for profit or other commercial gain.